We are committed to promoting human and ecological health by providing people with delicious, nourishing food and by working toward a regional, organic food system.
We aim to produce the highest quality, traditional pickled foods available, using natural fermentation. We buy our vegetables only from Northeast farms and sell our products only within the Northeast. Our ingredients are 100% organic.
Benefits of a regional food system
- Fresher, healthier food, raised with an emphasis on flavor and nutrition, rather than shelf life and transportability
- Strong rural communities with profitable, sustainable farms and plenty of green open space
- Vast reductions in fossil fuel use for long-distance transport, resulting in less pollution and a more stable global climate
- Strong local/regional economies, with more money circulating within our communities and regions, and more jobs created
- A more democratic food system, in which people have more power to decide what food is available and how it is produced, resulting in a cleaner, safer, more diverse food supply
Benefits of an organic food system
- Cleaner, safer food, free of pesticide residues, growth hormones, and genetic engineering;
- Living, fertile soil, which leads to higher nutrient levels in our food and is essential to agricultural sustainability
- Healthy ecosystems, rich in biodiversity and with clean waterways unpolluted by pesticide and fertilizer runoff
Read more about Real Pickles’ support of an organic and regional food system:
- Meeting ‘The Beast’: A Field Trip to Martin’s Farm Composting
- Supporting a Regional Food System: An Interview with Myers Produce
- Calculating Food Miles at Real Pickles
- Beyond Local: The Case for Regional Food
- A Community Perspective: Keeping It Local!
- Regional Distribution: An Interview with Joe Angello
- Why Our Food System Needs the Occupy Movement
- Occupy Wall Street and Organic Pickles