When we arrived at Martin’s Farm in Greenfield, MA on a Monday in mid-September, Adam Martin was in the driveway, repairing a yellow machine the size of a fire truck with “The Beast” written on its side. Adam welcomed us with a wide smile and grease-streaked cheeks. We had traveled up the road to Martin’s…Read More
FERMENT BLOG: Voices from Real Pickles
This blog is maintained by the staff at Real Pickles, where we believe that fermentation is important at all levels of life - from the food we eat to our involvement in re-shaping our world.
We’re excited to share several great stories of our mission-related work in our 2019 Annual Report, including our new solar array that makes us 100% solar powered! We also highlight scientific and community business collaborations, two new worker-owners, and our thoughts on a climate-resilient food system. And, our Annual Report welcomes a new crop of socially-minded investors supporting our work for a better food system! Check it out>>
We made new investments in renewable energy this year! In the fall, we installed a solar hot water system on the south side of our building with help from Spartan Solar based here in Greenfield. We saw instant reductions in our natural gas usage, and we look forward to the system providing all of our hot water in the summer. We hired our worker co-op neighbors PV Squared to install a 31 kW photovoltaic system on our flat roof. The array is made up of 2,000 square feet of panels and the generated power is shared between the two businesses, Real Pickles and PV Squared. Along with our original 17 kW array installed in 2011, Real Pickles will be once again 100% solar powered!
- Four local food producers capture national awards | Greenfield Recorder (January 17, 2019)
- Minimum wage will rise to $12 an hour in Massachusetts on Jan. 1 |
Mass Live (December 24, 2019)
- Of the Earth: Fermenting visions of a long life | Greenfield Recorder (November 27, 2018)
- Pickle Power: Can fermented food fight off colds? | Daily Hampshire Gazette (October 9, 2018)
- UMass scientists partner with Real Pickles | Greenfield Recorder (September 27th, 2018)