Serves 4. Vegan, Gluten-free
- 2 cups whole wheat berries (or substitute quinoa, couscous, or millet)
- 1 large bunch kale, stemmed, leaves sliced
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup sliced red cabbage
- 2 T sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley or cilantro (optional)
- 4 T olive oil and/or coconut oil
- salt and pepper
- 3 heaping T Organic Ginger Carrots, Organic Red Cabbage, Organic Turmeric Kraut, or Organic Beets
In a medium saucepan, cover the wheat berries with 5 cups of water and 1/4 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat until tender, 25 minutes.
Add the kale to the wheat berries, cover and remove from the heat; let stand until the kale is wilted, 5 minutes. Drain well and put the wheat berries and kale in a large bowl. Add the vinegar and 2 tablespoons of olive oil to the salad, season with salt and pepper and toss.
In a medium skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of oil. Add the shallots and a pinch of salt and cook over moderately high heat until just starting to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and simmer, stirring, until evaporated. Add the shallot and garlic into the salad and toss. Season with salt and pepper, garnish with parsley or cilantro. Finish with heaping spoonfuls of Organic Ginger Carrots (substitute or combine with Organic Red Cabbage, Organic Turmeric Kraut, or Organic Beets).